Friday, January 05, 2007

Religion


The video above is a 48 minute piece on religion in the modern world. It is hosted by the author of, The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins. He is a self proclaimed Atheist and an Evolutionary Biologist at Oxford university so, of course, he assumes a strong self serving position in the video. However, I found the video interesting and maybe you will to.
No doubt a controversial matter, religion ultimately resides within the individual and is not always to be contested. As many of you might know, I have long been interested in the subjects of religion, psychology and philosophy. I have intentionally lost the fervor, in recent years, of asserting and arguing any strong religious position, for I found it to be rather unrewarding and without purpose. Suffice to say that, currently, I "do not confirm nor deny" the existence of God, but am not in any way pompous, stagnant or imposing in such a position. It is precisely the dogmatic proselytizing and self righteousness that I find disdainful in much of organized religion. Virtue is in the doing; meaning simply that, goodness lies in living a moral life. I do not feel the need to be replenished of sins, "Saved" or accept "Jesus Christ as my personal savior." To me, much of these actions serve only to persecute and isolate others, which I find repulsive and altogether uneccessary.
(All apologies for the irony of my own rant, sorry.)

"I never told my own religion nor scrutinized that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change another's creed. I am satisfied that yours must be an excellent religion to have produced a life of such exemplary virtue and correctness. For it is in our lives, and not from our words, that our religion must be judged."


-Thomas Jefferson, 1816, in a letter to Mrs. H. Harrison Smith

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Jefferson for Prez!