Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Another interest...


"The fatal metaphor of progress, which means leaving things behind us, has utterly obscured the real idea of growth, which means leaving things inside us."
-G.K. Chesterton

This quote can be found on the opening page of the book above, which depicts in graphic detail, the troubles that lie ahead of us, as an "industrialized world built on cheap energy" falters. As the in-sleeve tells us, "Industrial civilization is in big trouble and the American people are sleepwalking into a future of hardship and turbulence."
After watching the "End of Suburbia" the other night, I was led to check out a couple books cited in the movie on the central issues of the documentary. Though it is doubtful that I will get through any of them, I find them suitable for browsing and an overall awareness of some of the problems we are undoubtedly going to have to face in the future.
The Long Emergency is written by James Howard Kunstler, a rather radical, but intelligent and perceptive, American author and social commentator.

1 comment:

Templeton said...

After watching the Movie and contimplating it for a while I feel like I need to do some serious research intot eh other point of view. I am very skeptical of anything that doesn't site an opposing view. It's just bad film making. I whole heartedly agree that we are wastful and stupid and most of our lives are unsustainable (my favorite word) but I thought The End Of Suburbia was closer to Propaganda than Journalism.