Friday, June 30, 2006

Talk to me

Friends are more important to us now more than ever, according to a recent study revealed last week through a paper appropriately titled "Social Isolation in America." I found the article in Time magazine addressing this issue pretty interesting. It says that we, as a people, are more socially isolated than ever before in history. It also mentions that among the"many well documented side effects" of social isolation, "death comes sooner." "Social isolation is as big a risk factor for premature death as smoking."
The article is written by Robert Putnam, a professor at Harvard University who also wrote "Bowling Alone."
I could probably write or talk for hours about this interesting phenomenon, but I don't feel like it right now. The bottom line is, as Morrissey once sang, "Hold onto your friends," friends.

1 comment:

briwil said...

Goddamn it... I quit smoking six weeks ago (thank you, thank you) and now I have to worry about dying of lonliness??
Ok, I won't let go if you don't let go Brendan.