
“An Inconvenient Truth” is a new documentary addressing the growing concern of global warming, starring Al Gore.
(See the trailer here.)
It is destined to be a major wake up call to many Americans and hopefully will make each of us think a little more about what we are doing in our lives and the long-term effects. I am far from living an exceptionally environmentally sound life, but seeing what I saw the other night really frightened me into believing we truly have a massive problem that has gone overlooked for far too long. With so much focus on terrorists, tyrants and threats from all around the globe, much attention has been taken off of the threat of “the globe” itself. It only seems normal that something this huge and important would seem to appear from nowhere and have everyone interested, because there is a new threat to our lives being drawn up every day.
I have always been a somewhat fond of Al Gore and Bill Clinton. I think they were good leaders and respectable as such. I can’t help but believe that if they were in office during the events of September 11th, everything would have turned our differently, and our country and perhaps the world would be in better shape than it is today. In issue 1 of the Wholpin DVD series, Spike Jonze directed a short piece he filmed during Gore’s campaigning for Presidency. If you have about 15 minutes I highly recommend it. See part 1 here, and part 2 here.
Maybe none of us will be around long enough to see when the Earth does eventually fail us (or, more realistically, when we ultimately fail the Earth) but I still believe it is our moral duty to more seriously protect it in order to slow the inevitable decay, for it is clear to see that the Earth is not going to be able to sustain our trashing it forever.
2 comments:
I saw the movie last night, and I agree that it is something everyone should see. I even went out and bought the book last week.
Althougth this film is getting a lto of buzz it will likely be just preachign to the choir. People who aren't already concerned abotut eh environment are not goign to go see an environmental film. It's really too bad. Also I think if you really think abotu all the connections our over consumption is the root of all our problems. We need oil to run our cars so we go to war for it. but if we wheren't consuming so much we wouldn't have such a desperate need for oil and no need to go to war. I think sustainability shoudl be the buzz word. If you can't sustain something then you shouldn't do it. I could go on for hours, so next time you see me let's talk abtou sustainability. It just makes sense.
Post a Comment