
I woke up this morning to read an article in Rolling Stone on Scientology. It was as bizarre and unbelievable (for the most part) as you would expect. I decided to link it here on my blog, with doubts that anyone would actually take the time to read it all here. Which brings me to my main thought of the morning; How much, is too much, to read online? And at what point do you draw the line? How much do you suppose, you read online in a single day?
(Weigh in below).
The New Yorker has long articles, most of which can also be found online. Some of their articles take hours, if not days to read. Aside from the sheer incrediblity of such a feat (of putting up these hundreds of thousands of pages online) who actually takes the time to read them? I suppose they all have printable options, which is helpful, but back to my point, how much is too much to read from a screen? It would seem that The Gutenberg Project thinks that our propensity for such online reading is boundless; posting entire books online, such as Ulysses and War and Peace!
Oh and watch this to see what Scientology can do for you, once you achieve the high level status of an "OT" (Operating Thetan)!
1 comment:
There's a scientology building that recently opened up on the south end of North Beach, near the TransAmerica building, and everyday I walk past it, and everyday the same recruitors are out there, and the first time I encountered them was a couple of months ago, this really cute girl, probably a few years younger than me in a business suit, made eye contact with me as I was walking down the sidewalk, and she smiled at me, and I was thinking "YEAH!", but then I realised what was going on and it made me hate all religions even more.
Thanks for introducing the Gutenberg Project, I'm going to go read Nietzsche on my ipod now...
Post a Comment