Friday, May 19, 2006

Yo Momma!

Yesterday afternoon I actually watched this show on the MTV. I was shocked, awed and appalled. I couldn't believe it was real-that there was a budget for this kind of schlock; but I guess coming from the backers of Jackass, a television show that plenty of people probably thought was totally senseless, I shouldn't be that outraged. But really, "Yo Momma" is an entire show based on trash talking, using "Yo Momma so..." jokes!? What have we come to as a society? How representative is this of the American culture? What good does a show like this serve?
Ok, I understand that it is only entertainment and maybe my prudence is shining through (I did laugh at a few of the jokes b/c they were so bad they were funny, which I guess is the point of the whole show) but my questions and attacks still stand. A show like this can't be good for the pliable minds of youth; who are undoubtedly the target market of an ever better onslaught of media advertising and image production. At home eating Oreos on the couch, they watch wide eyed and attentive to every detail of the facade of televised life on MTV. Then they go off to school to reinforce their MTV world, in their own, little, imperceptible ways with all the fantastical and grandiose MTV images roaming around in their heads as fuel for conduct. Taken to the next level the show could probably even lead to violence, because some people get really mad when you start talking about their "momma."
Oh, MTV where would our youth be without you?

3 comments:

Kellette said...

i watched that once at the gym. absolutely horrible. one thing i was stoked on, is that they have teams representing areas of LA, and when I watched, they had a team from Eagle Rock, which was super close to where me and Temp lived.

Templeton said...

MTV is in it to make money and this show I would guess makes them money. You need only to look at the latest box office results to see that America is not very interested in High Art or quality. Make a fart joke or blow somethign up and they'll be happy. I think the responsability lies in parents teachign their children to be responsible media consumers and to question things before accepting what is given to them.

briwil said...

This sounds like something I just wrote, but better explained.